On 2/5/06, Adam Lindsay wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
> > Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> The fact that all Polish fonts (lm, iwona, kurier, antt) now ship with
> >> el-* files makes me wonder: is there time to do the next step and
> >> finish the second encoding with symbols?
> >>

> > indeed
>
> Oop. Sorry, I hadn't been watching that.
> I've suggested texnansi as a starting point, at least within ConTeXt.
> What symbols do people want that *aren't* within texnansi?

1. Would Caron & similar uppercase accents make sense? I doubt that
many accents are needed in addition to what is already present in the
other encoding anyway, but something like that could be used if there
is no Ccaron present in the font for example:

\definecharacter Ccaron {\buildtextaccent\textCaron C}
instead of
\definecharacter Ccaron {\buildtextaccent\textcaron C}

In well-designed fonts (including all Polish fonts such as lm,
antykwa, iwona, ...) the lowercase and the uppercase variant of the
accent differ. (Try to write \Scaron\Ccaron in texnansi encoding for
example to see the difference).

Of course some care has to be taken, so that it will also work for
fonts without those additional accents for uppercase characters (using
\iffontchar perhaps?).

2. perhaps some currency symbols missing in texnansi
I would suggest to add Euro, but with some special care of course.
Perhaps some users still prefer to use the regular (geometrical)
symbol rather than the one taken from I-forgot-which-font (the default
behaviour when \texteuro is used).

Any other currency on this list worth supporting?
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U20A0.pdf
Perhaps dong, lira, Won ...

3. Perhaps a short glimpse into:
http://source.contextgarden.net/ts1-lm.enc
http://www.cstug.cz/aktivity/2005/lm-at11e.pdf
http://www.janusz.nowacki.strefa.pl/pliki/AntykwaTorunska-doc-en-2_03.pdf
if you notice anything worth supporting.

"married" might be useful for geneaology, I guess that the leaf is
there for the same purpose. No idea why anyone would want to use the
musical note (ugly in lm and probably hardly present in any other
font).

4. numero sign, ordfeminine, ordmasculine, copyleft ;), I don't know
if anybody needs fractions, permyriad, ... one/two/...superior
(present in some regimes) are pretty pointless in TeX where you can
use \high{} I guess. Perhaps there should be two different glyphs for
"tilde" and "asciitilde" (not sure about the last one.)

Mojca