Frank � wrote:

>> After a succesful update, you have to run
>>
>>   # texexec --make --all [--xetex | --aleph | --pdftex] <formats>
>>
>> Where <formats> are the desired formats to run. The accepted list
>> at the moment is: the eight ConTeXt formats, in both long
>> ("cont-en" etc.) and  short from ("en","nl","de","it","fr","cz",
>> "ro","uk"), and "mptopdf", and the metapost mems "mpost" and "metafun".
>>

> So I guess this is the call that would also be needed if the update
> itself goes via a package management, i.e. if one installs a new version
> of the Debian ConTeXt package.

i think that it depends on what users want to use (pdftex, aleph, xetex,
luatex, a combination)

ok, one can play safe and just generate them all for the english user
interface

> So I guess TeXlive (and the existing teTeX packages within
> Linux/BSD/... distributions) should do that, so that modern ConTeXt just
> works.
>

> If you are not root, then

just curious: how many tex users or people updating tex don't have root
permissions

> and so on.  I'm not sure, however; this of course depends on which
> progname ConTeXt uses (so it might need to be TEXFORMATS.cont-xetex or
> whatever).

the progname is always 'context'

there is no functional difference between context's, only user interface
languages may differ, so for pdftex, xetex etc the same context is used;
backend support is loaded runtime; so, there is not, as with latex, a
pdfcontext or so: backend support has always been isolated in driver
files; the TEXFORMATS variable should have an /{engine,} appended which
makes the engine specific formats end up the and be searched there
(because formats are always generated in a current path, texexec will
chdir to an engine path when making a format)

so, pdftex, xetex, aleph, ... all use cont-en.fmt for the english user
interface (used to be cont-en.efmt, cont-en.ofmt, etc);  using
different  names for the formats does not make sense since the
functionality is mostly the same

> I think, with the TEXFORMATS.$engine setup working, it should be
> possible to use both, fmtutil and texexec, and get the same formats -
> texexec might still be better in doing other update tasks.

the problem with this is that there is only one dimensions: progname, so
TEXFORMATS.context is ok, and TEXFORMATS.xetex is undefined (actually
$engine is unset in many cases)

>> * TEXFONTMAPS is also wrong: it makes pdftex (and dvipdfmx as well,
>>    I guess) find the mapfiles for dvips before their own mapfiles
>>    (those are shipped with ConTeXt).
>>

> This also sounds like a bug in TeXlive/teTeX.

if i'm right Karl added it after we discussed this feature but i didn't
check it

>> * Lastly, ctxtools --update does a kpsewhich on context.tex to find
>>    where to install the updated files. That only works if  you have
>>    write permission for that directory (i.e. you are root),  or if you
>>    have done a private install already.
>>

> So this means -update will always try to overwrite an existing
> installation, and not automatically search for a writable directory
> that's earlier in the TEXMF path?  Even not as a fallback?  This sounds
> as if this tool could be improved.

 def locatedlocaltree
            tree = Kpse.used_path('TEXMFLOCAL')
            unless tree && FileTest.directory?(tree) then
                tree = Kpse.used_path('TEXMF')
            end
            return tree
        end

so, it prefers texmflocal; so far no one asked for different methods but
it can always be improved (and will be on request)

>> I think that is all, but I may have missed something, so if you read
>> this message and know a thing or two about updating, please double
>> check my text. Thanks in advance.
>>

> I think it does help a lot, and we can work from there, testing with the
> Debian ConTeXt package.

ok, thanks. there are debian users on this list so testing should be no problem