I too am stuck in specification hell. The specifier is ovenamored of
stretching text and the like. I worked through that with the TeX/LaTeX macro
soul.sty.

 My immediate problem is with putting the
caption of a table in a different font.  Currently I have:
\setupcaptions[location=top,headstyle=bold,style=bold]

\placefigure[here][tab:comp]{Comparison of Corporate and
Government Bond Portfolios} {
etc.
Currently I get the caption in bold but the string "Figure 2-1" is not in
bold.

A second problem:
The designer asks for
--------------------------------
Figure 2-1
Comparison of Corporate etc.
--------------------------------
but I get:
-------------------------------
Figure 2-1 Comparison of Corporate etc.

I can avoid \placefigure and hand code each caption of course but that
deprives me of the ability to float the figures.

Unfortunately they brought in the designer after I had already started work
(and cashed the deposit check.)

The first difficulty (typeface) is IMO the most critical.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting