On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, John R. Culleton wrote:

> On Sunday 10 June 2007 23:49, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007, Pepe Barbe wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have used ConTeXt in the past and I have been very pleased with
>>> it and the results obtained, much more than LaTeX.
>>>
>>> Now I am looking into a solution that would allow me to layout
>>> the content ConTeXt and in other formats that ConTeXt does not
>>> (Forgive my ignorance, if I am wrong) output, like HTML, Plain
>>> Text, or RTF (Those are the formats that I can think of that are
>>> interesting to me currently).
>>>
> I don't think it is possible to come up with an "universal elixir"
> that does any format from source and is efficient to use. Plain text
> is the exchange medium I use.  XML is too cumbersome to code by hand.
> Therefore I have solutions for specific situations. For example when
> a customer presents me with a non-fiction document already laid out
> in MSWord, I first save it as rtf. Then I run it through the program
> rtf2latex2e. This gives me an executable LaTeX file, with all the
> font changes etc. preserved. The I edit it in Gvim, using mass
> changes to convert LaTeX tags to an equivalent Context format. Some,
> like all the begin/end tags I just delete en masse.

This approach is fine if you have to convert only once. However, if
you want to occassionally update the sources and get an updated html
and pdf output, it can be too much work. For situations like this, I
think that, at least for just text + graphics, xml is the most robust
way.

Of course, there are also plain text markup formats, like wiki markup,
restructured text, textile, etc. If the document is really simple,
they may be easier to use. There are many plain text markup to LaTeX
convertor, but no plain text to ConTeXt convertor that I know of. I
remember there was someone on the list who had written scripts to
convert wiki markup into context and then to pdf. I do not know if
these scripts are publically available.

Aditya