Mojca Miklavec wrote:
 > Hello Hans,
 >
 > On 8/24/07, Hans Hagen wrote:
 >> Hi,
 >>
 >> I uploaded a new version of mkiv (regular zip).
 >
 > Thanks a lot!
 >
 >> - case changing using attributes and node processing
 >>
 >> simple test file for spacing and casing:
 >
 > I'm attaching a not-so-trivial test file for "casing", just to see how
 > well it works for Croatian.
 >
 > A few observations:
 >
 > - LM doesn't have any lj, nj, dz, dž, ... (probably another request
 > for the Polish guys)

hm, just write a small proposal ...

however, dealing with non present chars is to be dealt with anyway

 > - It would be great if MK IV did the trasformation from digraphs to
 > normal letters in case those digraphs are not present in the font
 > itself (for ij, lj, nj, dz, dž, ... just as it would be great if
 > ccaron was automatically composed out of c and caron if the letter
 > wasn't present in that font).

\definefontfeature
[test][mode=node,language=dflt,script=latn,complement=yes]

{\font\test = lmtypewriter8-regular*test at 12.3pt \test ljubljana
Ljubljana  LJUBLJANA }

currently the complement only replaces LATIN/compat combinations (see
char-def.lua)

 > Visually there is probably no difference in plain text, except in
 > exactly the cases for which you're sending the tests (that's casing
 > and spacing). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaj's_Latin_alphabet
 > how the word "MJENJACNICA" is split into letters.
 > Normal people still type n+j in text, not the digraph "?" (nj), but in
 > case you get some text with those digraphs which are valid Unicode
 > letters, it would be nice if they were processed ...

dealing with n+j in text is too dangerous to catch, unless we start
implementing complex language depenent replacements, and even then it's
messy (what to do when one really wants a nj (two char)) ... so, thos
old docs can best be converted to proper utf then

 >> \starttext
 >>
 >> test: oeps {\setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation] x: xx \bfd x: xx}
 >> oeps: test
 >>
 >> test \WORD{test TEST \TeX} test
 >>
 >> test \word{test TEST \TeX} test
 >>
 >> test \Word{test TEST \TeX} test
 >
 > Another few observations:
 > - \word doesn't work in XeTeX

no, neither in pdftex i think; new

 > - What exactly is \Words supposed to do (with non-first letters in a
word)?

make first chars uppercase but only when the next is a char; (i changed
it a bit, defs were not seen (overloaded later by macros)

 > - ConTeXt with XeTeX outputs dozens of empty lines to the console.

indeed, has to do with the fact that i need to test if a font is present
on the system (file vs name stuff) and the empty lines are a side effect
of entering/exiting batchmode

 > An extra challenge would be to get this work (but unless some Croats
 > ask you for that or unless you have too much time left, don't bother
 > about that - it needs slightly more than only lccode and uccode of a
 > letter since there are three forms: one for lowercase [ljubljana ->
 > lj], one for all-uppercase words [LJUBLJANA -> LJ] and one for the
 > first letter of a word starting with an uppercase [Ljubljana -> Lj]):
 >
 > In Unicode:
 >
 > \word{?ub?ana} -> ?ub?ana
 > \Word{?ub?ana} -> ?ub?ana
 > \WORD{?ub?ana} -> ?UB?ANA
 >
 > \word{?ub?ana} -> ?ub?ana
 > \Word{?ub?ana} -> ?ub?ana
 > \WORD{?ub?ana} -> ?UB?ANA
 >
 > \word{?UB?ANA} -> ?ub?ana
 > \Word{?UB?ANA} -> ?ub?ana
 > \WORD{?UB?ANA} -> ?UB?ANA

as long as we have utf it's already taken care of

 > In Latin transcript (in case you have problems seing some Unicode
letters):

 > \word{ljubljana} -> ljubljana
 > \Word{ljubljana} -> Ljubljana
 > \WORD{ljubljana} -> LJUBLJANA
 >
 > \word{Ljubljana} -> ljubljana
 > \Word{Ljubljana} -> Ljubljana
 > \WORD{Ljubljana} -> LJUBLJANA
 >
 > \word{LJUBLJANA} -> ljubljana
 > \Word{LJUBLJANA} -> Ljubljana
 > \WORD{LJUBLJANA} -> LJUBLJANA
 >
 > See also:
 >
 > http://unicode.org/cldr/data/common/collation/hr.xml
 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaj's_Latin_alphabet
 >
 >> {\setcharacterkerning[extrakerning]\input zapf\endgraf }
 >
 > (That could be "backported" to XeTeX. I think it enables a similar
 > feature now, but I should check.)

hm, i'm not going to backport everything; keep in mind that i these
features are not font related; actually future mkiv versions will also
do dynamic feature change so ...

anyhow, ... new upload to play with