On 9/23/07, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> this would be nice because many chinese and japanese fonts have very
> ugly characters for normal latin texts and would be nice to choose
> another font for them.
>
> The second point is some it often neccesary to choose differents fonts
> for arabic, greek ... and this method can used to switch to the
> corresponding font without inserting font switching commands in the
> text but handle this with character classes.

I guess that in LuaTeX you can "compose your own font" on the fly. So
you can say "please take this region from Arial, another region from
some Greek fonts, and yet another from Chineese, perhaps some more
characters from somewhere else ... And then you can use a single font
for everything. (Don't ask me how this can be done, though.)

Mojca