Dear ConTeXt Users,

Thanks to those that contributed to this thread! The code

\setupcaption[figure][distance=\zeropoint]
\defineconversion[gobble][\gobbleoneargument]
\setupnumber[figure][conversion=gobble]
\setuplabeltext[figure=]

just did the trick, but I don't understand why! Maybe I shouldn't bother
at the moment! By the way, am I right in saying that the interaction
feature of the list doesn't work when using this trick?

Well, I've one more question related to the list of figures.
Is there a way to truncate a long caption to a maximum of just no more
than a fraction of the length of a textline and indicate the truncation
by for example a few dots (...)?
Something like:

A very long figure caption truncated just here...
                             pagenumber

Regards,
 Gerard

--
Geert C.H.M. Verhaag
St. Jorisstraat 29

Tel.: +31-(0)774742493, E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]