On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 17:26:48 -0500 (EST)
Aditya Mahajan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> > just wondering: how many ConTeXt-ers depend on ligatures such as:
> >   '' (double quote) and '' (two single quotes) -> right double quote
> >  `` -> left double quote
>
> In some old documents. In newer documents I use \quote and \quotation.
> Then there are documents that need to move back and forth between latex
> and context but for them I can easily define appropriate macros in latex.
>
> >  ,, -> DOUBLE LOW-9 QUOTATION MARK

We should jeep them for old times sake although I prefer quote and
quotation in my document because this is more flexible (change with the
language and I can also change the quotation style).

> > or even more weird ones:
> >  !` -> inverted exclam
> >  ?` -> inverted question
> >  << -> LEFT POINTING GUILLEMET (never heard of that ligature)
> >  >> -> RIGHT POINTING GUILLEMET
>
> I have never used them.

The two spain ligatures should vanish, I tried once to write [...]?`` in
one of my documents and hated this behaviour. The other two ligatures
for guillemets another odd things because I < in my document for every
< in my source not a replacement.

> > Some ligatures are handy indeed:
> >  -- -> endash
> >  --- -> emdash
>
> I use them all the time. Even though the utf encoded values can work here,
> my editor (vim) using fixed width fonts, so it is easy to miss the
> difference between hypehn, endash, and emdash (in the markup). So, I would
> prefer them to be present.

Keep them, they are to usefull. I could also agree to Aditya's
explanation.

> >  ' -> right single quote (I'm, isn't etc.)
>
> I can automate the conversion of ' to the corresponding utf character
> inside vim, so this is not really essential. However, IMO this should not
> change.
>
> Aditya

I nearly never need this in my documents but it is very usefull in I
don't want to select the right character. This is also on of the points
Word and Powerpoint users select the wrong character but TeX has
always the right character :-)

Wolfgang