Dear Wolfgang,

first, I _really_ appreciate your effort. Unfortunately, for me
\framed is not likely to do the job, as the header is a bit more
complicated in real-life (I told you so ;-).
And yes, actually, using framed had been my very first approach as the
original LaTeX layout had been using \begin{picture} ...
\end{picture}. Therefore, I thought at that time going the \framed
route should do the trick....

Here is an (still simplified) example why I don't think it would

\setuplayout[%
   width=160mm,
   topspace=10mm,
   header=35mm,
   headerdistance=5mm,
]
\setuppagenumbering[location=]
\setupheadertexts[\setups{pagehead}][][\setups{pagehead}][]

\startsetups[pagehead]
   \setupframed[offset=3pt]
   \setupcombinations[distance=-\linewidth,width=160mm,align=no]
   \dontleavehmode
   \startcombination[3]
   {\framed[align={right,lohi},height=27mm,width=35mm\relax]
     { LOGO  } }
   {\framed[align={right,lohi},width=35mm\relax]
     {left} }
   {\framed[align={middle,lohi},height=27mm,width=80mm\relax]
     {titel } }
   {\framed[align={middle,lohi},width=80mm\relax]
     {middle} }
   {\framed[align={right,lohi},height=27mm,width=45mm\relax]
     {other stuff}  }
   {\framed[align={middle,lohi},width=45mm\relax]
     {Page:~\pagenumber\ of \lastpage}}
   \stopcombination
\stopsetups

\starttext
\input knuth
\stoptext

Again, as I am still new to ConTeXt, there might be a way to get rid
of the spaces between the frames, somehow. But I still would -- in the
real version -- also need some extra alignments within some cells and
in short this gets just more ugly with every further step.

I also had been thinking about going the "metafun" route. However, I
do need a simple, out of the box solution that even the greenest TeX
newbie could use and setup on all sorts of OS's ...
In short, I fear that is also not going to be a choice at the moment.

Open to suggestions
Yours
        Carsten