Dear Peter and Wolfgang,

sorry for taking a bit longer to come back to you and your suggestions
here.
But I got some strange results and did some further testing and trying
on all this.
What got me a bit, was/is that your suggestion below works as is, but
fails with only slightly more complicated tables. Specifically, in the
case where there is more than one row.
Furthermore, one can't leave out
\starttablehead\stoptablehead
\starttabletail\stoptabletail
even in the case of just using the "table" environment, instead of
"tables". Don't ask me why.
In short, Peter, while your solution works as is, I would not
recommend it for anything more complicated then the example below, and
in that case one is probably better of using the framed solution from
Wolfgang. Either that, or using the earlier idea with overlay from
Wolfgang
> \definelayer
>  [pagehead]
>  [width=\paperwidth,
>   height=\paperheight,
>   state=repeat]
>
> \setlayer
>  [pagehead]
>  [hoffset=\backspace,
>   voffset=\topspace]
>  {\setups{pagehead}}
>
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=pagehead]

This works just fine. THANKS A LOT for this. :-D

I had been playing around with overlays at the very beginning of my
ConTeXt tries and had soon come to the conclusion to do some more
basic stuff first and ... somehow never got back around to it up till
now.
However, it is the way to go here, as it does indeed separate -
somehow - the inner workings of the table structures enough so that
ConTeXt is no longer getting confused about them anymore.
In short, this works as advertised.

Cheers
Carsten

P.S.: Still would be nice to have this issue fixed.
P.S.S.: It does not help with the second bug within the "tables"
environment, i.e. the starting \HL line in the "tabletail" introducing
an extra and unwanted! gap in the table.
Ugly workaround for me at the moment is drawing a not completely line
by using \framed[width=broad,topframe=on]{} above the text.
While slightly better than either no line or a line with said gap, it
is not exactly what I had in mind here, either...