On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Jesse Alama wrote:

> Hi Aditya,
>
> Thanks for the help -- I think I now see why there is such trouble with
> colors in pgf and context.  It looks like one can systematically
> transform LaTeX-like PGF examples of \color into ConTeXt examples.
>
> The reason why this came up is that I'm trying to go through Till
> Tantau's "Example for Karl's Students" tutorial in the PGF/TikZ manual.
> Has anyone managed to ConTeXt-ify that example?

I did that some time back while testing tikz. I will send that file as a
list because of its size.

> The example features some \definecolor's which I just did away with
> (sadly) by simply substituting their defining values for their
> occurences.  (This is unfortunate, but perhaps necessary until some
> other mechanism is produced.)  The problem is that the text box to the
> right of the picture is supposed to be colored, and with rounded
> corners.  But the box is missing.  Look at p. 20 of

The TikZ manual make a lot of uses of the xcolor syntax (e.g.
\color{red!20}). There is no equivalent ConTeXt syntax. You need to define
a color, say lightred, as follows

\definecolor[lightred][r=0.2]

For tikz key-value options, pgf works behind the scene to define
appropriate colors, so xcolor syntax works for them. So
\fill[fillcolor=red!20] will work as expected. However, when using \color
inside any box, you need to follow ConTeXt syntax. So \color[red!20] will
not work, you need to define a context color and then use that.

Hope that this clarifies some things.

Aditya