Dnia Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:07:42AM -0700, Corin Royal Drummond
napisał(a):
> Dear Professor Idriss, and the Lovely ConTeXT Community,
>
> What a thoughtful and warm response to my late night introductory rant.
> You've most certainly gained a dedicated new user today.  Your restraint and
> courtesy to my half-considered diatribe is most heartening.  Amazingly, you
> managed to answer alot of questions I wasn't fully aware I was asking.

Hear, hear! ;)

> Since I wrote to the list last night, I have continued learning ConTeXt at a
> frightening clip. Did my first drop caps, indentations, and messed around
> with setting width and height.  I can't remember when my computer has brought
> me so much fun.

Wow...  I'm pretty much in the same situation - just can't wait to start
using ConTeXt on a more serious basis!  The only problem is, that for me
writing in LaTeX (or even plain TeX) is waaay faster - I remember most
commands etc.

> I'm beginning to see that there is a fair amount of documentation, but it's
> sprayed all over and needs some TLC.  I think what I'd like to contribute to
> ConTeXt is some more docs.  I'm thinking of doing some web video screencasts
> (easy on Linux) showing off how to do specific things like Lettrines or
> multi-line headers, explaining the format of options and parameters, and
> generally helping people see and appreciate the ConTeXt way.

I had the very same plan, but currently I'm very busy.  I started a page
on the wiki about fonts for beginners but stopped because of poor time
management:(. Hope to get to it back again; if anyone wants to help,
it'd be great!

And presentations/screencasts suck (I have 128 megs of RAM;)).  It's
better to give sample code.  There is a command on ConTeXtgarden (I
can't load it in my browser, so I can't check the syntax, but I've used
it on the aforementioned page) which shows both the code and the result.

> I would seem that ConTeXt has a natural market in web developers who are used
> to writing structured documents for layout engines.  Personally, I'd like to
> see a Drupal module that will ConTeXtify a person's website as a book or
> magazine for printing.  How great would it be to have an automatically
> updating e-book for print and screen generated off your website's content
> based on your tags/taxonomy.  Just add "FortheBook" tag to an article, and
> without one having to do any more, it will appear in the PDF available on the
> front page of your site.  There is a LaTeX module for Drupal, but I haven't
> tried it.  I think such a module would help to whet other web developer's
> appetite for ConTeXT.
>
> I think one of the joys of ConTeXt for me is that web development just sucks
> for typography. There are only a handful of fonts one can specify in any
> document unless you embed them in images (which God told me was a sin).  By
> contrast, with ConTeXt, I feel like a kid in a candy store, with so many
> things I can do to my text.  I nearly had a fit when I got hanging
> punctuation working.
>
>  Thanks again for your kind counsel Idriss, I hope I can help you guys out by
> writing some new docs, and being an evangelist for ConTeXt.  Never have I
> found a piece of software that so deserved wider recognition.
>
> I will definitely keep an eye out for Mojca and Luigi.  Would be so excited
> to meet a local ConTeXt user.
>
> With deep gratitude,
>
> Corin Royal Drummond
> San Francisco