On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 06:32:13PM -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:45:10 -0600, Hans Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Khaled Hosny wrote:
> >> Using Luatex engine, ZWNJ and ZWJ chars are rendered incorrectly. If the
> >> font has a glyph for it, it does the expected behaviour (force
> >> non-joining or joining respectively) but the glyph get rendered while it
> >> shouldn't. But if the font has no glyphs for it, it has no effect at
> >> all. See the attached example.
> >
> > i uploaded a beta
> >
> > after analyzing i now remove the joiners
>
> Not sure if this is the best approach:
>
> Despite what MS Typography says, I think it's important to maintain the
> joiner info after analysis. If I select text from a pdf, the joiner info
> should be there. This is important for, eg, switching from Arabic-language
> to Farsi-language typography. So If I select some pdf text formatted
> according to Farsi rules, I should be able to save that text with the
> rules included.
>
> Can this be made an option, so fonts that contain zwj zwnj are not
> affected?

Well, I've very little ConTeXt knowledge to actually understand this. My
main point was that non-printable formatting characters like ZWNJ, ZWJ
should be font independent i.e. when I insert a ZWNJ it inhibits the
joining of Arabic letters without being printed, the font having or not
having a glyph for it shouldn't affect this. In the other hand, it
should be their so that when I copy the text I get it (since it is part
of the input and has semantical value).

Is this what we have here?

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Arabic localizer and member of Arabeyes.org team