On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 14:02:24 -0600, Khaled Hosny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> Well, since we're not using it for long-term historical ranges -- and
>> we'll need to be able to advance/reverse it a couple of days no matter
>> the
>> algorithm, then I say let's go with whatever is easiest for hans to read
>> ;-)
>
> I think Umm al-Qura algorithm is more tested and is the one officially
> used in Saudi Arabia, but I can't find any technical details about it,
> though Arabeyes's ITL implements it

How did you implement it without the technical details? I guess I'm not
quite understanding...

Can you find it and pass it alon?

> and is giving me correct results so
> far (unlike the Hijra algorithm). EMACS one seems to be widely used too,
> but its ITL implementation gives me incorrect dates some times

How incorrect?

I have a friend who specializes in Islamic astronomy and I'll ask him
about this as well.

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies