On 11/26/2008 8:11 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Lars Huttar wrote:
>> Except perhaps the documentation. I have yet to find a reference that
>> clearly describes what \rm is to do in ConTeXt. One responder pointed to
>> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cont-eni.pdf. The closest
>> thing to a definition of \rm there that I could find is on p. 111: "The
>> command \rm is used to switch to a roman/serif/regular style,..."
>
> In his first reply to your message, Aditya posted the link to the new
> manual chapter on "Typography". This chapter and the following one
> "Fonts" are  planned to be the definitive answer to all questions
> regarding fonts and font selection in ConTeXt.
>
> If you believe the text could be improved even further beyond the
> changes already made compared to the manual at Pragma ADE, please
> tell us how (for sure, the meaning of the macro \rm is not going to
> change!).

Understood. :-)

> We all want the manual to be as good as humanly possible,
> but it is often quite hard to write at beginners' level when you
> have advanced past that point yourself.

Understood too.

> If you can find a good (or at least better) way to express what
> \rm,\ss,\tt,\hw and \cg do compared to the current prose in
> co-typography, please post it. Just keep in mind that the manual
> has to remain independant, so texts that presuppose knowledge of
> plain TeX and/or LaTeX are not acceptable except as a side/footnote.

Thank you for being willing to take input to improve the documentation.

My #1 wish would be a reference section where \rm is described
unambiguously. So, for example, it would be very helpful to have it at
http://texshow.contextgarden.net/, since that is presented on the
ConTeXt garden wiki as a "ConTeXt command reference", "for all
user-commands that can be used in ConTeXt" (cc'ing Patrick Gundlach for
this reason). I see instructions there for commenting on a command, but
no way to request addition of a command.

In any case, an unambiguous description would be, instead of

        switch to a roman/serif/regular style [p. 3 of new manual chapter on
typography]

something like this:

        switch to a serif style

(if that's what \rm means in ConTeXt -- I still don't know for sure).

The word "regular" is ambiguous, as it commonly contrasts with "italic"
but sometimes with "bold". (And should I infer now that it sometimes
contrasts with sans-serif?)
Similarly, "roman" can have multiple meanings. To Knuth it meant
"non-italic".
As far as I'm aware, the term "serif style" is unambiguous. (But I'm not
a professional typographer.)

Table 1.2 lists "\rm   serif, regular, roman, rm" but does not say
whether all the words in the right column are supposed to be synonyms
for the same typeface attribute, or constitute a collection of different
attributes. It appears that some of them are the internal names of
styles? (the last one in each row), while others may be merely
descriptive. It would be helpful to have headers on the columns in this
table so that the reader knows what the data in each column indicates.
If everything in the right column is a command sequence in ConTeXt
(perhaps it's a defined font), it would be helpful to know that.
The first column could have the header "Command", matching the table
caption. The second column header depends on what the stuff in the
second column is. If it's intended to be merely a natural-language
description of what the command in the first column does, I think it
could be clarified as follows:

Command / Switch to style                / Internal style name
\rm     / serif                          / rm
\ss     / sans serif (a.k.a. "support")  / ss
\tt     / typewriter (monospaced)        / tt
\hw     / handwritten                    / hw
\cg     / calligraphic                   / cg
none    /                                / mm

I put the "Internal style name" column in there for completeness, but
it's not clear to me whether this is the meaning that was intended, nor
why a user would want to know about internal style names already... but
maybe that's just me.

Another place I would change it is p.4 under 1.3.1:
        "Examples of styles within a family are: ‘roman’, ‘sans serif’ and
‘teletype’"
could be clarified as
        "Examples of styles within a family are: ‘roman’ (which in ConTeXt
means ‘serif’), ‘sans serif’ and ‘teletype’".

Thanks...
your hard work and thick skin are appreciated. :-)

Lars