On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adit...@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Mikael Persson wrote:

>>> Thank you Mojca for your help!
>>>
>>> I'm also being a bit curious about the [tf] in
>>>
>>> \definemathsymbol [hat]      [accent] [tf] ["2]
>>>
>>> In math-fou.tex I see
>>> mi (Math Italics?)
>>> sy (Symbols?)
>>> ex (Extension?)
>>> mr (Math Roman?)
>>>
>>> 2) I guess all [mr] (10 or so) in math-fou.tex safely can be changed to
>>> [tf]?
>>
>> I would not just bet on it. I would try it first. If mr works, one
>> should better leave mr, but I have no idea why it fails.
>
> The reason \hat is defined using tf is because the math font does not have
> accents. This is the same thing with Euler, and last I checked (about a
> months ago), Euler accents work perfectly in MKIV. So, in principle it
> should  work with Fourier also.
>
> I do not have time right now to look into it, maybe sometime next week.
>
>>> 3) Does anyone know what has to be done to get this working in mkiv?
>>
>> Hans, what's the strategy with non-unicode fonts, in particular
>> Utopia? It doesn't come in otf format, but could still be used in both
>> mkiv and XeTeX. Is there some type-something.tex foreseen for such
>> fonts?
>
> Another possibility is to redistribute the fonts as otf. From what I
> understand from the license (http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/utopia/)
> it is ok to modify the fonts (ie change the format) as long as you do not
> call the modified font utopia, and remove all references to Adobe. Are there
> tools to convert type 1 to otf?
>
> Aditya

Thanks Mojca and Aditya for your help. I just found out that if I change

    \definefontsynonym [MathRoman]     [Utopia-Regular]
    \definefontsynonym [MathRoman]     [futr8t]
in the typescript file, and define the math accents as:

\def\grave{\mathaccent"7000}
\def\acute{\mathaccent"7001}
\def\hat{\mathaccent"7002}
\def\tilde{\mathaccent"7003}
\def\ddot{\mathaccent"7004}
\def\mathring{\mathaccent"7006}
\def\check{\mathaccent"7007}
\def\breve{\mathaccent"7008}
\def\bar{\mathaccent"7009}
\def\dot{\mathaccent"700A}

they all work (both in mkii and mkiv). Can someone explain how to
convert these definitions to context versions, for example like
  \definemathsymbol [acute]    [accent] [tf] ["1]?

Best regards, Mikael