If you know python
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/PyUNO_bridge
http://opendocumentfellowship.com/projects/odfpy
For xml the choice is
http://codespeak.net/lxml/

A native xml db, with XQuery and python binding
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/berkeley-db/xml/index.html

And this is my experience :
I'm programming in TeX (with context) , lua / python (they are
similar) and xslt .
For every project  if I can I use lxml to manage xml sources, because
it includes xslt but not viceversa.
The goal is to translate xml in tex in the quickest way, and let mkiv
to do the hard word.
I have not a good feeling with xslt, because is not so powerful as
lxml, and clearly is not a competitor of TeX .

If I need storage, dbxml is good, and XQuery+lxml is powerful enought .

OO has also docbook exporter
http://www.docbook.org/
docbook
is rich and with a good collection of xsl stylesheets to translate xml to html
but maybe is ...too much .

--
luigi