Dear Mike

if something simple is what you had in mind for this, you might want to try this:

\definesynonyms[nomenclature][nomenclatures][\infull]
\setupsynonyms[nomenclature] %[criterium=all]

\starttext
\completelistofnomenclatures

\section{Some section}

% these could be placed anywhere
\nomenclature[PI]{$\pi$}{the ratio of the circumference with respect to the diameter of a circle}
\nomenclature[Dia]{$d$}{the diameter of a circle}
% References to them can be placed inside the definition,
% you might want to write a macro for that if that is a feature you use often

\input knuth

This is the symbol \PI. Please note that no math mode has to be used here as that is taken care of in the definition.
% Nor for the diameter \Dia.

And just using the list of nomenclatures again:

\placelistofnomenclatures
Produces a list (sorted) of all or all used 'nomenclatures'. See also the section about abbreviations in the ConTeXt handbook.

There is also the \type{...register} suite of commands if page entries etc.\ are more what is needed.
\stoptext

Cheers
Carsten