Dear All,

I have some small diagrams I created with MetaPost in 2005. Just
recently I wanted to re-run the build of the PDF. It produced a PDF
but the typography looks awful. so I compared (diff) with the previous
intermediate files and found that the EPS files produced by the mpost
run are identical up to timestamps and that it's only the last step
epstopdf that uglifies the output. I'm suspecting the fault to be with
the ghostscript or the font installation. Maybe someone here has seen
this and knows the fix?

One of the diagrams is below.

Thanks for all hints and best regards,

Marko

verbatimtex
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
etex;

defaultfont := "eurm10";
defaultscale := 10pt /fontsize defaultfont;
prologues := 2;
input mp-tool;
input mp-spec;
input boxes;
input trees;
def_nonterminal(lam, btex \texttt{function} $:: \alpha$ etex);
def_nonterminal(app, btex @ $:: \alpha$ etex);
def_terminal(fun, btex \texttt{exp}$_1$ $:: \beta$ etex);
def_terminal(exp, btex \texttt{exp}$_2$ $:: \gamma$ etex);
def_terminal(two, btex \texttt{2} etex);
def_terminal(times, btex \texttt{(*)} etex);
def_terminal(varx, btex \texttt{arg} $:: \beta$ etex);

beginfig(2);
  app.root(fun, exp);
  drawtrees(root);
endfig;