On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 11:02, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2009, at 3:11 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> This has nothing to do with Hans' beta. See
>>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/48892
>> but I'm clueless. The binaries have been compiled on Debian Etch. Does
>> pdfTeX work on your machine?
>>
>> Mojca
>
> Hi Mojca,
>
> I usually run a luatex binary I have compiled myself, but when I simply
> tried to run the script to update the minimals, I got the same error as
> Luigi, on Debian lenny.
> Etch is really dated now, any chance to update?

To be honest, it was the other way around: I was trying hard to find a
chance to compile on *as old machine as possible*. Compiling on
cutting-edge linux would be much more trivial than compiling on Debian
Etch, but then Luigi comes and starts complaining that the binaries
compiled on Taco's server (that runs a reasonably new linux) don't
work on his distribution.

Since Taco promissed to change this library dependency this week, I
would prefer to wait on his patch. If you have your own binary, just
comment out the rsync line in first-setup that updates the updater and
replace bin/texlua with your own luatex. (Unless you deleted the
distribuiton before, you now have a non-updated distribution rather
than a non-working one, so you can hopefully still compile the
documents.)

On the other hand, since luatex is already almost-broken anyway, it
might make less demage if we make it work on recent distributions than
if we make it work on older distributions. I leave that decision to
Taco.

Mojca