Yes, if leave a space between the last two quotes, mtx output seems ok.

MTXrun |
MTXrun | executing: vim -u NONE -c "set tabstop=8" "test.tex"
MTXrun |
But it still cause vim open two file named "tabstop=8" and "test.tex" to
edit. So it seems vim treat tabstop=8 as a file? that still a quotes
problem, right? I also test if there no space in quoted arguments, such as

mtxrun --noquotes bin:vim "-u NONE -c \"help\" \"test.tex\" "

This time vim will open the "test.tex" and  help window as expected. If any
command with space in -c parameter, vim can not correct executed.

manually execute the vim command:

vim -u NONE -c "set tabstop=8" "test.tex"

vim open the "test.tex" only to edit as expected.
Andy