Matthijs Kooijman wrote:
Hi Taco,

I have assumed that ConTeXt has more authors that need APA like
citations than bracketed numbers. ConTeXt has never had a very
strong presence in the exact sciences.

If that's the case, then the \cite command does the wrong thing by default,
since it generates references as bracketed numbers. My complaint was not one
of default style, but of inconsistency: \cite uses bracketed numbers, while
the list of references just uses author names and years (which I now
understand to be "APA style".

This also means that this is a MkIV problem, my example did generate (author,
year) style references with MkII.

Yes. MkII is right.