On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:10 AM, Michael Saunders <odrad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You mean like the beginner's manual
>>
>> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/ms-cb-en.pdf
>>
>> and the user manual
>>
>> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cont-eni.pdf

>> amongst 46 others by Pragma
>

> No, not like those.  I mean like a real manual.  I read the book
> about Hasselt---a few examples without explanations.
> I've looked at most of the fifty or so documents over which
> this virtual manual is supposed to be spread.  They are about
> as informative.  Most of these documents seem to be 5--12
> years old.  The wiki is even more patchy.  The idea that a
> computer manual is something that exists implicitly in the
> discussions of a mailing list is a new idea to me.
cont-en & metafun are real manuals for mkii.
And yes, mkii is almost 10years old , and  maybe some options of
some macros are changed
What do you mean as "real manual" ?

> You can't be serious about "mk.pdf" being a manual.  Even it
> admits, "This document is not so much a users manual as a
> history of the development."  Little after that point is intelligible.
mkiv is still in development.
If one knows mkii,
then  mk.pdf and luatexref-x.pdf are important to help in
understanding mkiv, but it's not enough .
One must also knowns   lua, fontforge  , opentype,
unicode utf-8 TeX internal, xml ...
Actually mkiv is not for end user but it will be for sure in the
future , ~2012 estimated.

> Compared with the clear, abundant documentation of the
> LaTeX world, Context seems like a secret that a small club is
> trying to keep.  It's not even clear from the manuals that
> development is ongoing, much less that there is some advantage
> in using it.
One important point of mkiv are opentype fonts.
It's really hard in LaTeX to manage opentype fonts (remember the Adobe
produce only opentype fonts), and it's also hard in mkii --- but better.
mkiv actually already manage opentype fonts in a decent way, if one
compares with mkii.

Another point is Lua (a "traditional" programming language)  as a tool
for macro writer,
and I can assure that it' more fun/productive to use Lua than TeX in
some situations (eg parsing)
even if  TeX side of ConTeXt is  still indispensable (and will remain).

Context is not and doesn't seem a secret club:
"normal" programming is hard, programming with TeX is harder than
"normal" programming ,
typographic programming is a kind  of magic -- no books other than TexBook.
But in the end one must sit down and write his own code, and the
codebase is the best source for learning.
ConTeXt is a format for typographic programming --- maybe not user
friendly for and end user;
LaTeX is a format for end user --- not so good for general typographic
programming .

--
luigi