On Tuesday 29 June 2010 19:33:55 Peter Münster wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29 2010, John Devereux wrote:
> > ....so that "Short Title Rest Of Title" appears as the chapter title, but
> > just "Short Title" appears in the TOC, PDF bookmarks and footers.
>
> \setupinteraction[state=start]
> \placebookmarks[all]
> \setupfootertexts[chapter]
> \starttext
> \completecontent
> \startchapter[title=long, list=short, bookmark=bookmark, marking=footer]
> bla
> \stopchapter
> \stoptext
>
> Cheers, Peter

Three points:

(1)
\setupinteraction [state=start,option=bookmark,contrastcolor=interactioncolor]
\setupinteractionscreen [option=bookmark]
\placebookmarks [part,chapter,section,subsection]
                [part,chapter,section]
\starttext
\completecontent

\startchapter [title={First chapter},list={First}]
text̛̛
\stopchapter
\stoptext

Here, the long title gets placed by default in the bookmarks,
whereas one probably wants the short title there. Of course,
one can use "bookmark={First}", but this might be redundant
and thus is not very elegant. An alternative might be to
use "bookmark=list" but this, of course, yields "list".
Could/should one require the syntax: title={long},list={short}?

I would then expect to be able to use:
\setupchapter [bookmark=list]
to select to put the short title (if list={short}) in the bookmarks,
unless there be bookmark={shorter}.

(2)
Additionally,
\chapter [title={First chapter},list={First}]
does not work. Logically this should work just as \startchapter.

(3)
Furthermore, I have a conceptual/structural problem with
\startchapter\stopchapter. Take the example:

\startchapter [title={First chapter}]
bla
\stopchapter
some text
\startchapter [title={Second chapter}]
bla
\stopchapter

Where does "some text" belong? Structurally, I mean.
Is it some sort of interlude?

The syntax \chapter is not only convenient,
it is also logical in that the structural section
remains valid until the following \chapter.
The \startchapter\stopchapter syntax is attractive
but leaves me a bit perplex. Would someone explain?

Alan