On Thu, Jul 01 2010, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> Functionality such as the subject of this thread
> should be available by default, without having to mess with macros.
> In particular, functionality present in LaTeX for quite some time
> should be possible within ConTeXt rather easily, the ConTeXt way,
> of course.

The ConTeXt way is now: \startchapter[...] \stopchapter
When you don't need the extra functionality, you can use the old \chapter
command, but when you need it, the just use the new environment.

> Thus,
>   \chapter[toc-entry]{title}
> of LaTeX should have its equivalent in ConTeXt,
> and this would be logically something like:
>   \chapter [title={title},list={toc-entry}]

Why? LaTeX is not the reference for ConTeXt.
It could also be like this:
\startsection[type=chapter, title=my title, ...]
\stopsection

> Furthermore,
>   \chapter*{title}
> of LaTeX should also have its simple equivalent in ConTeXt,
> and this would be logically something like:
>   \chapter [number=no] {title}

This should be simple enough:
\startchapter[number=no]
\stopchapter

> which could very logically be:
>   \placefigure [where] [fig:reference] [caption=no]
>     {figure}
> and
>   \placefigure [where] [fig:reference] [caption={caption},list={lof-entry}]
>     {figure}
> the ConTeXt way!

Or:
\placefigure[where=here, label=fig:label, caption=my caption, ...]{figure}

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/