On 08/03/2010 06:48 PM, Eythan Weg wrote:

Hi,

Sometimes in June I was no longer able to compile context beta, running
into a problem that persists with the new stable (7-30-2010).  Hans
suggested in response to a similar problem by someone else, to install
minimals.  But this seems to me wasteful because I use parts of latex.

Running (with luatex version beta-0.62.0-2010080309 (rev 3794))

mtxrun --generate

gives this:

    MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/usr/bin'
    MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/usr'
    MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '.'
    MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to ''
    MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXMF' set to ''
    MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXOS' set to '/usr'
    MTXrun | resolvers
    MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
    MTXrun | resolvers
    MTXrun | resolvers

Should I be able to compile the current context under texlive 2009?  If
so, how? If not, would it compile with the current version texlive 2010?

Almost. You need this file

  http://minimals.metatex.org/current/misc/web2c/texmfcnf.lua

and it should go into <texlive>/texmf/web2c/ or somewhere else
where it can be found (any location where texmf.cnf will be found)
and then it should work, I think. But I cannot test this, so
be warned that it may not work.

Best wishes,
Taco