On 3-8-2010 6:48, Eythan Weg wrote:

Sometimes in June I was no longer able to compile context beta, running
into a problem that persists with the new stable (7-30-2010).  Hans
suggested in response to a similar problem by someone else, to install
minimals.  But this seems to me wasteful because I use parts of latex.

The minimals are independent; also, you get the latest binaries with it.

Running (with luatex version beta-0.62.0-2010080309 (rev 3794))

mtxrun --generate

gives this:

    MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/usr/bin'
    MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/usr'
    MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '.'
    MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to ''
    MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXMF' set to ''
    MTXrun | resolvers: variable 'TEXOS' set to '/usr'
    MTXrun | resolvers
    MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
    MTXrun | resolvers
    MTXrun | resolvers

Should I be able to compile the current context under texlive 2009?  If
so, how? If not, would it compile with the current version texlive 2010?

the current release is not tl 2009 compatible and not even tl 2010 compatible as in the meantime multiple caches are supported and the texmf.cnf file has been replaced by texmfcnf.lua (context specific setup)