On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adit...@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Aug 2010, Xan wrote:
>
>> I file a bug:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/context/+bug/622253
>>
>> Please, provide any comments you want.
>
> What you have reported there is not a bug. After installing ConTeXt, you
> need to run (luatools --generate) as a normal user; only then mtx-contex.lua
> will be found.

The need to run "luatools --generate" is not sufficiently
visible (it is in README.MarkIV).   Any package that requires
user configuration steps should have a mechanism to inform
the user that such steps are required.  I suspect the damage
was already done by the time the OP tried "luatools --generate" ,
and was perhaps made worse by running the command from
a root prompt.

> In your case, running luatools --generate does not help, and that is the
> bug.

You are right, but with a system like context it is sometimes better to
avoid stressing the tools by following standard procedures.

The OP ended up with /etc/texmf/web2c/pdftex, which suggests that
MkII and/or fmtutil tried to install formats under /etc/texmf/web2c.   It may
be too much to expect luatools to recover when things are not where they
belong and files under $HOME are not owned by the user.

--
George N. White III <aa...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia