On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 09:25:26AM -0400, John Culleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 September 2010 18:37:48 Khaled Hosny wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 06:17:41PM -0400, John Culleton wrote:
> > > Well I have been typesetting books in plain tex and pdftex for a
> > > decade or more. Supposedly luatex is a superset of pdftex that
> > > makes finding fonts easier and eliminates the generation of tmf
> > > files. But I seem to be sinking into a deeper swamp.
> >
> > If you all what you want is plain TeX, then why you are looking for
> > ConTeXt solutions, I mean you don't need ConTeXt nor ConTeXt file
> > locating system (which does not use kpathsea) to use plain format.
> >
> > The issue you have is because your ConTeXt MkIV is not properly
> > setup yet (true for fresh TeXLive 2010 installs). You need to run
> > `luatools -generate` to generate the file database (used to
> > locating files, similar to running texhash and likes, but TeXLive
> > scripts does not run it by default). Then you need to set your
> > system font paths, by setting OSFONTDIR, and ConTeXt will then be
> > able find system fonts.
> >
> > However, you don't need any of then to use system fonts with plain,
> > there are already packages for this (based on dome of ConTeXt code,
> > but adapted to be self contained and ConTeXt independent).
> >
> > A small test file would be:
> >
> > \input luaotfload.sty % works for plain despite the .sty
> > \font\pagella={name:TeX Gyre Pagella:script=latn;+onum} at 10pt
> > \font\termes={file:texgyretermes-regular.otf:script=latn} at 10pt
> > \pagella some text 12345\par
> > \termes other text
> > \bye
> >
> > This should work out of box on texlive (at first run it will take
> > some time building font database). If it does not work, it is a
> > bug.
> >
> > For LaTeX, just check fontspec documentation, and there is a
> > lualatex-dev list on CTAN, and luatex list for general, non-ConTeXt
> > questions.
> >
> > Regards,
> >  Khaled
> Now that works! I'll try it on my XP partition also to see how well I
> fare.  And I need to fiddle with some non-Gyre fonts as well.
>
> You mentioned building a database, and yes that took some time. Is
> there a way to have it scan fonts in /usr/share/fonts as well?

By default on Linux it will attempt to read /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and
detect system font directories, so /usr/share/fonts (and ~/.fonts)
should work, you can override this by explicitly setting OSFONTDIR, in
this case it will only search the specified directories (it is a
regular kpathsea variable).

Regards,
 Khaled

--