>From the documentation page 236
( ConTEXt reference manual )

%-----------------------------------------------------
\definedescription
  [definition]
  [location=serried,
   headstyle=bold,width=broad,
   sample={icon}%% senseless here
  ]
\starttext

\definition{icon}

What for some languages looked like a handicap has now become a feature.
Thousands of words and concepts are already layed down in characters.
These characters therefore can be considered icons. \par

\stoptext

The setting location=serried is useless here in fact of the empty line
after \definition{icon}. If I delete the line and add another entry
like

\definition{iconize} some text here

then I can see that the setting sample={icon} has no meaning.
It is only taken into account _without_ location=serried.

Herbert