On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 20:38:13 +0000
 "Reviczky, Adam" <adam.revic...@kcl.ac.uk> wrote:

Dear Thomas

I understand, that it's not a good idea, and I've seen similar issues on the list (http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2010/052339.html). I ran into this by making a deb package of a software (that includes context files) with a version that have a "~" in it, and therefore it makes a folder name having this character and context fails.

So i guess the answer is then, no.
Hi Adam,

I didn't want to sound rude - in the end, only Hans can decide if this can/should be changed. It's just when you think about the complexity of a system like context which runs on many different platforms, which involves a number of programming languages, which passes names to and fro in temporary files and commands - I just would advise to stick to characters which you can be sure will be parsed correctly by all parts involved. If you want to know a bit more about it, have a look at all the efforts Hans makes to sanitize font names so they will be found in the mkiv font database; taking out all the spaces and periods and whatnot. And yet, next week, some smart font designer will certainly come up with an even more bizarre name which breaks everything. That's all I wanted to say with my sarcasm.

Thomas