On Sat, 5 Mar 2011, Reviczky, Adam wrote:

only Hans can decide if this can/should be changed
I won't argue for any changes, just thought to ask about it.

I'll think about a workaround outside context.

The "error" is with the backend.

luatex (and pdftex and even tex) do not like filenames with a ~ in it.

luatex test\~1.tex

tries to compile a file called test.tex! If you want to compile test~1.tex, you need

luatex "test\string~1.tex"

In ConteXt, a wrapper script mtx-context calls luatex with appropriate settings of format, etc. So, with

context test\~1.tex

mtx-context will call

luatex --fmt=... --lua=.. "test~1.tex"

which, as mentioned above, tries to compile test.tex. But you can use the same workaround

context "test\\string~1.tex"

and the file test~1.tex is correctly compiled.

A simple "yes, can be done" or "no, its a really bad idea" is perfectly enough
for me.

I don't understand why tex (the engine) ignores ~. I will call it a bug.

Aditya