On 2011-04-28 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfg...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> When using center, the quote is centered, but the text
> >> comes after the quote.
> >
> > A feasible solution. It is eye-catching and easy to read.
>
> And there are many ways to make it fancy:
> http://layersmagazine.com/indesign-paragraph-rules.html

I never doubted that pull quotes can't be fancy ;)

> >> It would be nice if the text would flow around both
> >> sides of the quote,
> >
> > Do you really think so? How would it look like? A three
> > column layout: text left, pull quote, text right and the
> > text continues in full-width?
>
> http://www.elijournals.com/images/articleFigures/0302/msw0321a.gif

I intentionally didn't suggest a layout like this. 1st it
has a horrible spacing and 2nd it's very hard to read.

> > This would mark up the text surrounding the pull quote as
> > somehow different than the one preceding and following the
> > pull quote and thus confuse the reader.
>
> I don’t think so because it’s common in magazines but TeX
> isn’t the best tool for this.

Mostly in magazines the layout comes first and the
readability second, that's why magazines can't be a
measure for a readable layout. Best example is variable
inter-character spacing.

> http://www.wyssdesign.com/Wyss_Design_Images/Bookprojects/Wyss_Design_Success_Spread1.jpg
> • http://www.twopeaspublishing.com/assets/sample_pullquote.jpg

These both pull quotes are not centred.

> • http://homeforprofits.com/wp-content/uploads/wikipedia-pullquote.png
> http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-2897250-31035/Picture+32.png

This looks fine, it's common this way. But it only works
in a two-column layout. I assumed we're talking about one
column layouts.

Marco