On 22-7-2011 2:56, Ondřej Hošek wrote:
Greetings,

long-time reader, first-time writer here. I've been using ConTeXt for
about a year and, until now, been able to solve all my problems using
the wiki or the mailing list, so a "keep up the good work!" is
certainly in order. ;-)

My problem concerns kerning in mkiv, which apparently doesn't work for
all sans-serif fonts. It does seem to work for TeX Gyre Heros and
Latin Modern Sans, but not, as an example of a font shipped with
ConTeXt, DejaVu.

Here's a short testcase:

\usetypescript[dejavu]
\setupbodyfont[dejavu,12pt,rm]

\starttext

Token (kerned)

T{\char"200C}oken (unkerned)

{\ss Token (kerned)}

{\ss T{\char"200C}oken (unkerned)}

\stoptext

(U+200C is the "zero width non-joiner", rather useful as an invisible
breaker of kerns and ligatures.)

\zwnj

Expected behavior: first line "To" kerned, second line "To" not
kerned, third line "To" kerned, fourth line "To" not kerned.

works ok here

Differences to expected behavior on my machine (ConTeXt minimals
2011.07.22 01:29): third line "To" not kerned either.

the current version has some heuristics for mode (some fonts need node mode) and script/language (some fonts don't have dflt defined)