I used the following macro for typsetting literature references in footnotes.
It worked without problems until now, but then I didn't use the bib module for
some time.
It looks like a problem has crept in with the <inproceedings> type.

the macro setup:

\usepublications        [literature]
\setuppublications      [alternative=apa]
\setuppublications      [numbering=short,refcommand=data]
\setuppublicationlist [%
        editor=\normalauthor,%
        author=\normalauthor,%
        artauthor=\normalauthor]
\setuppublicationlist[firstnamesep={ },surnamesep={}]
\def\bibentry#1{\bibentrypar
        \doifemptyelse{#1}{\def\bibentryspace{}}{\def\bibentryspace{\ }}%
        \cite[data][#1]\strut}
\def\footnotecite{\dodoubleargument\dofootnotecite}
\def\dofootnotecite[#1][#2]{%
        \def\bibentrypar{\def\bibentrypar{\par}}%
        \unskip\footnote{\processcommalist[#1]\bibentry
        \doifnotempty{#2}{\bibentryspace#2\strut\par}} }

It fails for the following entry:
\startpublication[k=campbell:92,t=inproceedings,
a={{Campbell},{Wiener}},y=1992,
n=54,s=CW92]
\author[]{K.~W.}[K.~W.]{}{Campbell}
\author[]{M.~J.}[M.~J.]{}{Wiener}
\pubyear{1992}
\arttitle{{DES is not a group}}
\crossref{crypto92}
\pages{512--517}
\pubname{Springer-Verlag}
\stoppublication

But it works ok when <inproceedings> is replaced by <book>.

The error message:
<to be read again>
                   \pbd:
\bibgetvart #1->\csname pbd:#1\endcsname
                                         \plussix
\bibalternative ... \??pv \@@currentalternative #1
                                                  \endcsname
\dotypesetapublication ...ative {\bibgetvart {#1}}
                                                  \removeunwantedspaces \egr...
\next3 #1,->\dobibdata {#1}
                           \doprocesscommaitem
\doprocesscommalist ...item \gobbleoneargument #1,
                                                  ]\relax \global \advance \...
l.34 \par

Hans van der Meer