Thank you, Christian. However, I find explicitly setting the row height a bit awkward. What happens if I changed the height value in my \setupTABLE directive? Then I would have to change all references to height in the table explicitly. Also, my made up example is *only* of double rows. However, I have the earlier example where this is a mixture of row spans across different columns. It was just by chance that I was in a situation with all adjacent cells in a particular row requiring a row span.

Why would that be considered not an application of [nr=?]? And if it indeed the case, shouldn't it be explicit that [nr=2] doesn't apply to an entire row?

Regards.