On 2012-01-20 Kip Warner <k...@thevertigo.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-01-21 at 01:22 +0100, Marco wrote:
> > On 2012-01-20 Kip Warner <k...@thevertigo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > So what does ConTeXt do when it typesets an \externalfigure?
> > > Does it always use inkscape, or only sometimes?
> >
> > If the  image type is  supported by the TeX  engine (jpeg,
> > png, pdf, mps) it is directly included. SVG files inkscape
> > is  called to  convert  the  SVG to  PDF.  For EPS  images
> > ghostscript is used:
> >
> > strace results:
> >
> > execve("/usr/bin/gs", ["gs", "-q", "-sDEVICE=pdfwrite",
> >     "-dNOPAUSE", "-dNOCACHE", "-dBATCH",
> >     "-dAutoRotatePages=/None", "-dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress",
> >     "-dEPSCrop", "-sOutputFile=m_k_i_v_graph.pdf",
> >     "graph.eps", "-c", "quit"], [/* 55 vars */])
>
> Right, but since the average end user probably won't know that, doesn't
> that still suggest Inkscape be listed as a dependency?

As  I  mentioned before  99.9%  of  the system  work  fine
without additional  programs. You need inkscape  only when
you  want to  include  SVG images.  Having  inkscape as  a
dependency  means a  huge  bunch of  data  and disk  space
(inkscape incl. all dependencies like X,…).

However, these external helpers (like ghostscript as well)
should be listed as a recommendation or suggestion [not as
dependency]).  In  that case  the  user  is notified  that
he/she might get a benefit installing these programs.

Marco