Hi,

have you tried the following?

\setuppublications[alternative=ams, refcommand=num]

This sets the default cite style to [1], [2], ... You can also see http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Bibliography and the bib module manual which is linked from there. Sorting the citations by the order in the text are the default behavior, it could be set (in \setuppublications) with sorttype=cite.

Hope that helps,
Stefan.