Hello Thomas,
I have experimented a bit and found that the problem is not in the presence of citation in the caption of figure. It seems that the problem does not occur only when you insert a figure without caption.

See the following example:

Jaroslav

\setupbibtex[database=sample]
\setuppublications[alternative=ams, sorttype=cite]

\starttext
citations are \cite[hh2010b] and \cite[hh2010a].

% \placefigure[force][fig1]{Caption of figure \cite[Eijkhout1991] with citation} % with problem
%           {\externalfigure[fig1]}

% \placefigure[force, none][fig1]{} %Figure without caption - no problem with bibliography
%            {\externalfigure[fig1]}

\placefigure[force][fig1]{Caption of figure without citation} % with problem too
           {\externalfigure[fig1]}

\placepublications[criterium=cite]

\stoptext