> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 15:03, Robert Blackstone wrote:
>
> Thank you, Hans, for your quick reply. Unfortunately it does not help
> me. The result is basically the same as when I write "on
> \at{page}[ref]", except that, instead of "on page 20", I get "at page
> 20", (with the float sitting on page 20).
> Frankly, I'm rather surprised that this wish of mine seems not to have
> come up before.

Indeed, something clean and automatic should be easy -
after all the color of the reference is different (contrastcolor)
when it is to be found on the same page or on a different page.

\at{page}[ref] could be smart enough...

What should the behavior be?
"on \at{page}[ref]" could return "on ",
but this would not be right.
"\at{on page}[ref]" could return "",
but otherwise "on page" would be a (colored) active link.
I might try
"\in{figure}[ref] \at{(page }{)}[ref]"
and hope/expect "(page xx)" to be replaced by ""
when referring to the current page.
Maybe Wolfgang is right in suggesting writing a custom macro.

I haven't looked at the code, though.

Alan