On 25-5-2012 09:15, Marco Pessotto wrote:

Hello all.

Reading the manual “Fonts in ConTeXt” I found the following statement
(p.97):

“In both cases we end up with a message in the log file and a resulting
file with missing data”. [When the font doesn't provide a glyph].

Now, the only case when the warning is issued is using mkii with xetex
(texexec -xtx), not with mkiv. (Unsurprisingly, the file with missing
data is always there :-)

Minimal example:

%% start
\mainlanguage[hr]

\starttext
Ja sam sȃm, i sȃm sam došao da izvršim pravdu.
\stoptext
%% stop

The name of the char is: LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH INVERTED BREVE (0x0203)

So:

$ context prova.tex

$ grep -i -E '(warn|miss)' prova.*
[ match nothing ]

$ texexec --xtx prova.tex

$ grep -i -E '(warn|miss)' prova.*
prova.log:Missing character: There is no ȃ in font
[lmroman12-regular]:+liga;+kern;mappi
prova.log:Missing character: There is no ȃ in font
[lmroman12-regular]:+liga;+kern;mappi

It's not a regression, since the behaviour is the same with the last
year ConTeXt.

You can add this:

\checkcharactersinfont

and get missing characters reported to the terminal. Unfortunately I forgot () when adapting this command to the command namespace ...

\unexpanded\def\checkcharactersinfont {\ctxcommand{checkcharactersinfont()}}

(fixed in next beta)