On Jun 7, 2012, at 3:15 PM, Bill Meahan wrote:

> I'm getting a handle on page layout and headings but there are some things I
> haven't figured out.
>
>  1) How does one specify they want the "outer" margin to be a different size
> than the "inner" margin? "Outer," of course, is the right margin on a
> right-hand (odd) page and the left margin on a left-hand (even) page.
>
>  2) How does one put a frame around a margin? Layers? Overlay? \framedtext?
>
>  3) Am I correct I can use the "COMMAND" parameters in \setuplayout to
> specify there is some text to use as a marginal in the (chapter | section)
> header (using \margintext, I presume)?
>
> I am working on a couple of novels I want to typeset using ConTeXt since I
> think it will allow me to produce what I want for typographic style much
> easier than using LaTeX.  I'm pretty adept at using LaTeX but brand new to
> ConTeXt. One of _my_ problems is so many examples on the wiki seem oriented
> towards people setting math which could not be farther from my intended
> usages. (Not that I'm unfamiliar with math, I have a degree in Physics and
> would have had a double degree in math except for a choice to take a
> different course (helpful in physics) instead of one mandatory for the math
> degree).
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Bill Meahan K8QN

1)  You might want to look through Ch. 3 in the manual.  The dimension called
"backspace" is sometimes described as the space between the spine and the text,
and sometimes as the space to the left.  But the manual shows various ways to
set up ConTeXt for books.  It should help you.  One place to get it is
http://www.tug.org/texlive/Contents/live/texmf-dist/doc/context/manuals/reference/en/contextref.pdf

2, 3) I'll let experts tell you.

Strangely, my intended products are math, and I find ConTeXt has too many
examples aimed at general printing problems (books, brochures, ...) that I'm
not interested in producing.  Maybe LaTeX is the same way.  I learned Plain TeX
before there was LaTeX....

Best,

Michael

prohibited.