On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 10:21:28 +0100
Taco Hoekwater <t...@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> On 11/22/2012 10:18 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >> Is it worth the trouble to keep setuptex?
> >> Just saying "Please add ... to your PATH" should be enough IMO.
> >
> > I often use it.
>
> Me too, I have quite a bunch of scripts that are distributed to
> online servers that do not all have the same architecture.

Sourcing setuptex (. pathtocontext/setuptex)
will fail to find and thus modify the path under pure Borne shells and their
equivalents.
It will work just fine under bash, ksh (but sourcing the script will fail
totally under csh and tcsh).
Executing the script (pathtocontext/setuptex) should run correctly under all
shells
but will in all cases fail to set the path.

My suggestion is simply to modify the message printed at the end:
In the case of an execution rather than a sourcing, or in the case of sourcing
under a Borne shell,
the script could instruct the user to manually modify the path. In the other
case, it could set the path.

Alan