Hi all,

thanks for your responses.

@Hans: yes, hbar is extremely common in quantum physics, in fact I'd go as far
to say as ubiquitous. It might be considered strange that the glyph doesn't
exist, but it's actually defined in TeX as a ligature:

\def\hbar{{\mathchar'26\mkern-9muh}

I tried defining this but it doesn't work: I still get nothing.

As it happens, \hslash seems to work fine, and in my opinion is a suitable
substitute so I will just

\def\hbar\hslash

(although actually that didn't work, I had to do \def\hbar{\hslash} for some
reason or I got an error in some tikz code I wrote).

Michael

--
Michael Murphy
murphy...@gmail.com