On 2013–03–08 hwit...@gmail.com wrote:

> I am just learning ConTeXt, so please bare with me.  In all of the
> documentation that I've read so far, it shows the names of
> imported photographs, graphs, blocks, etc as a simple filename
> without any filename extensions or pathnames.

Avoid hard coded path names in your files, it makes them less
portable. ConTeXt adds the file name extension automatically,
there's usually no need to specify it manually.

> Having a bunch of photographs anc charts files in the same
> directory as te tex files reallys clutters things up.   I'd like
> to store photographs, etc., to use used in a subdirectory of the
> project.  Also might be nice to have subdirectories for the sourc
> e of each part of a book.
>
> How do experienced people handle organizing files for large-ish
> scale projects such as a book?  It would be educational to learn
> how this is handled.

Have a look at the project structure.

  http://pragma-ade.com/general/magazines/mag-1101.pdf

To set the directory for included images, use:

  \setupexternalfigures
    [directory=images]

To set the directory for included text files, use:

  \usepath [<directory>] e.g.
  \usepath [chapters]

Marco