Am 29.03.2013 um 10:07 schrieb hwit...@gmail.com:

> It didn't work.  Either with texexec or with context.
>
> Here is a simpler test case
> -------------------------------- start
> % basic test to change footnotes bullet to a symbol
> % basice test to change footnotes bullet to a symbol
> %   \setupfootnotes[rule=off]   % had no affect
>
> \defineconversion[fnsym]{ \dagger,*,**,***}  % etc.
>
> \setupfootnotes[conversion=fnsym, numberconversion=fnsym]           % Doesn't
> work
> \setupnotation[footnote][numberconversion=fnsym,alternative=text]   % Doesn't
> work
> %  conversion=set fnsym  or conversion=fnsym                does't work
> %  numberconversion=fnsym or numberconversion=set fnsym     doesn't work
>
> \starttext
> This is a footnote\footnote{a fnote}\\
> And another for clarity\footnote{the 2nd footnote.}
> \stoptext
>
> ----------------end the above does not produce a dagger footnote bullet (only
> std numbers)
>
> It should be a simple thing to do, but I've tried a lot of combinations..
> Any help would be appreciated.

1. {} ≠ [], see \defineconversion

2. To end a paragraph use empty lines, \\ is wrong

<example>
\defineconversion[fnsym][\m{\dagger},\m{*},\m{**},\m{***}]

\setupnotation[footnote][numberconversion=fnsym] % change footnote symbols
\setupnote    [footnote][rule=off] % disbale the rule before the footnote block

\starttext

This is a footnote\footnote{a fnote}

And another for clarity\footnote{the 2nd footnote.}

\stoptext
</example>

Wolfgang