On 4/26/2013 9:41 AM, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
Hi Thomas,

Am 25.04.2013 um 08:56 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz <thomas.schm...@uni-bonn.de>:

On 04/25/2013 08:20 AM, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
First I think it better if ligatures should be off as a default.

Then you should not be using any form of TeX. ligatures have been part of TeX
since its invention (TeXbook, p. 4), and they have been part of fine
typesetting since Gutenberg. It's a sad consequence of the advent of
abominations like Microsoft Word that people consider them superfluous.
        I use XeLaTeX and ConText for it control. I have not touched Word in
decades, if possible
        or any other WYSIWYG- system!
        That being said, take a look at the books printed in this day and age.
You will find that
        the use ligatures are not that common.
        For me the fi-ligature, is estranging, as well as other while reading.
Others I find very pleasing.
        I do not want to discuss esthetics. I was just expressing my opinion.
If the engross of ConText
        users want ligatures as default that is fine with me.
        On the other side, I believe,  ligatures of off by default in LaTeX, et
al. or at least are feature
        is set when the font is loaded.

I don't know, but as has been said, the defaults in context sort of fit in the expectations. We even have some traditional pseudo ligatures like -- and --- implemented, also because users expect them.

Anyhow, if you put

\definefontfeature[default][default][liga=no]

in your local cont-sys.mkiv file you will have them off by default.

There are multiple categories of ligatures.