First of all, thanks for this quick reply.
Now what if as in the example I put, I want to mix, in math mode, some
range of "modern" with some range of "termes", which are both otf
fonts. Say modern is the default, but the character whose codepoint is
0x2115 (ℕ), is provided by "termes"?
This mechanism could be adapted to any glyph one doesn't like the
shape, e.g. substitute thin shaft arrows of modern with thicker shaft
arrows of xits.
Regards,
Chris