Hi,

I used ConTeXt (mkii) to write my PhD thesis in Mathematics in 2008. It
worked just fine.

At the moment I write some exams and hand-outs using ConTeXt, but research
using LaTeX (since the journals do not really accept ConTeXt and my
collaborators dont know ConTeXt).

It certainly works OK to write math in ConTeXt, but I have a feeling that
there are some things that are somewhat broken or not finetuned to output
what mathematicians expect. Look at the attached pdf files [1] l.pdf (from
LaTeX) and c.pdf (from latest standalone ConTeXt), with source l.tex and
c.tex for some examples.

When it comes to math environments, I think that thanks to the environments
in http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/mathalign.pdf we are OK. I sometimes
miss the multline(d) environment from LaTeX.

Best regards, Mikael

[1]
The attachments were too big, so I decided to put the pdf files on
http://www.maths.lth.se/~mickep/l.pdf
and
http://www.maths.lth.se/~mickep/c.pdf