On 6/27/2014 8:04 PM, Brian Landy wrote:

On Jun 26, 2014, at 5:24 PM, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:

On 6/26/2014 10:48 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
On 6/26/2014 5:06 AM, Brian Landy wrote:
On Jun 25, 2014, at 6:53 PM, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:

On 6/25/2014 11:26 PM, Brian R. Landy wrote:

When you say "next beta" do you mean a subsequent minimals release
(i.e., this fix should be the 2014.06.22 release)?  Or do you mean a
new
beta that you announce more formally on the list?  I'm not sure what I
should look for before I test again, so I don't end up testing a
version
without the fix.

netx beta == next upload == already done

Great, thanks.  I wanted to make sure before mentioning I'm still
seeing problems.  When you have a combination number/character
sequence (i.e., 1D or 11-22+) and specify an alignment
(flushleft/middle/flushright) spaces get inserted between the final
digit and the first trailing character.  So "1D" might print as "1 D",
"11-22+" prints as "11-22 +", etc.  This happens using "." or "," for
alignment, it's not exclusive to aligning on a hyphen.

i now have two methods, number and text and {-} triggers text

you can force a method with text-> and number->

no upload yet

I'll also add \nocharacteralign so that one can disable this mechanism in a
table cell.

This is all great, thank's so much for handling this so quickly!  I like the
idea of keeping the old behavior as an alternative.

in fact, the old behaviour is the default for number related seperators but in your case the - so not a number separator so then it assumes text

And now that I see what your new mode is attempting to accomplish, I think it
will prove very useful.  It looks like you want to parse out the number from
any preceding and following text, align the number on the alignment character,
and pad out any text that precedes a number (like a currency symbol) to align
on the left rather than be flush with the number.  I just wanted to point out
that this only works if identical preceding and/or trailing text exists in
every cell.

indeed, this mechanism was meant for numbers

For example, this table doesn't align using flushleft, middle, or flushright (it
will if you force text->{.}, but of course the parens won't align vertically):

\starttext
\bgroup<
\setupTABLE[1,2][3,4,5,6][aligncharacter=yes,alignmentcharacter={.}]
\bTABLE[align={flushright}]
   \bTR \bTD  xxxxxxxx \eTD \eTR
   \bTR \bTD  xxxxx    \eTD \eTR
   \bTR \bTD  1.2      \eTD \eTR
   \bTR \bTD  (1.2)    \eTD \eTR
   \bTR \bTD 11.22     \eTD \eTR
   \bTR \bTD (11.22)   \eTD \eTR
\eTABLE
\egroup
\stoptext

Without having looked through the code, I wonder if in number mode you could
first run the existing logic, and then finish off using the existing text logic
to pad the outside (i.e., to the left of the left-hand text and to the right of
the right-hand text)?

not today ... things take time

Anyway, for my purposes restoring the old mode as an option is perfect, I just
wanted to mention this in case this wasn't the behavior you intended.

maybe you can wikify these variants